STELLARON — The Museum of Industry is applying the old adage of something for everyone in a big way during March Break.
Part of Nova Scotia’s museum network, the local museum is offering a variety of programs as it marks March Break from March 16 to 24.
“I think we will have kids having a lot of fun,” said Andrew Phillips, the museum’s curator of education and public programming. “We’re looking for them to have a lot of fun with the variety of things to do to all the time.”
Games have been set up in the back of the main lobby. Michael James will entertain the kids on March 19 and 20.
“He’s pretty popular,” the museum’s Denise Taylor said, while noting the museum has hosted March Break events for more than 20 years.
The Pictou County Gymnastics Club will offer kids a chance to give gymnastics a try some balancing, tumbling and leaping options.
Phillips said he enjoys the week and feels it is worth the effort to offer the museum in this way to young people.
“It’s a lot of work getting ready, but it’s great to see the people enjoy it,” he said. “It’s really fun once it’s up and going.”
The museum will celebrate its 25th anniversary in June.
Among the event taking place throughout the county during March Break this year are:
• FREE Skating Party being held at Hector Arena, sponsored by the people of Pictou United Church.
• LEGO BuildIT Club — a Community Construction project that runs until April 20 at the Stellarton Library. For every book that children borrow from March 16 until April 20 they will receive two LEGO blocks to add to a Lego tower. Borrow some library books and watch the Library’s LEGO tower grow.
• LEGO Scavenger Hunt, March 16 to 23 March (daily), Stellarton Library. See if you can discover all the LEGO Mini-figs hiding in library book shelves. Find them all and pick up a prize from Adopt-a-Library Literacy program.
• St. Patrick’s Day Scavenger Hunt, 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Pictou Library. Search the library for symbols of St. Patrick’s Day.
• Imagination Saturdays LEGO Challenge: Build a Leprechaun trap, 11 a.m.-4 p.m., Stellarton Library.
• St. Patrick’s Day Bingo, 2:30-3:30 p.m., Pictou Library. Prizes awarded courtesy of the Adopt-A-Library literacy program.
• Trenton Library: Crafty Saturday, 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
• Girls Only Basic Training for ages 13-18 runs March 16-19 at the Pictou Academy small gym, 10:30 a.m.-noon. Cost is $20. Regsitration required by contacting Pictou Recreation and Parks at 902-485-4372.
• Highland Square Mall kick-off event in centre court 12-4:30 p.m. Bouncy castle, balloon artist and face painting 3-4:30 p.m. Check out the Coles nook every day until the 23rd from 9:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• The Museum of Industry is hosting events so children can build their acrobatic skills with basic gymnastic activities, led by the Pictou County Gymnastics Club from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m. March 18 to 22.
• Westville Recreation March Break Camp March 18 to 22 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. for ages 5 to 12. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org by email or by phone at 902-396-1059 to register. A 5 p.m. pickup option is available for $10 a day.
• Pictou Fisheries Pool: Toonie Swims, March 18 to 22 from 1 to 3 p.m. daily.
• The Highland Square Mall will host the Newfoundland Insectarium in the centre court from 9:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. and from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Make your own ocean slime outside of Michaels. Each day, the Highland Square Mall will feature a different craft at Michaels. It runs March 18-22 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 to 3 p.m. with each session lasting 30 minutes. Only $3 per project, all supplies included, parents must remain present while crafts are done. Call 902-755-2239 if you’d like to book in advance or for more information.
• From March 18 to 22 Dream Candy will host an Art for Kids workshop. Youth 6 to 10 runs Monday to Friday from 10 a.m to 12 p.m. and youth 11 to 14 runs Monday to Friday, 1 to 3 p.m. Cost is $75 and includes all matrials. The class will be taught by Janet Wallace, artist, muralist, portrait artist and art instructor. To register contact Deelle at 902-752-3087 or email@example.com.
• Pictou County Gymnastics will be hosting a March Break camp March 18 to the 22 for ages 5 to 12. It will run 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with a cost of $35 a day or $160 for the week. Ages 3 to 5 will also have a camp March 19-21 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. with a cost of $20 a day or $50 for the three days. Camps will include activities, gymnastics, crafts, games and more. To register call 902-695-3699.
• Helen Boucher will be hosting March Break Art workshops March 18 to the 21 for ages 7 to 12. Morning sessions will run 9:30 to noon and afternoon craft sessions will run 12:30 to 3 p.m. A single session will be $25 or a full day session is $40. For more information contact Helen at 902-331-0358.
• YMCA Pictou County will be hosting a day camp for ages 5 to 12 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. with a cost of $20 for members and $25 for non members. Extended hours will be offered from 4 to 5:30 p.m. for a $5 fee. Fun and games and swimming will be a part of the camp. For more information call 902-752-0202.
• Curling Camp at New Caledonian Curling Club from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. for those aged 9 to 15.
• Magic Show at Museum of Industry: Join magician Michael James as he performs amazing illusions and sleight of hand on March 19 and 20 from 11 to 11:30 a.m. and 2 to 2:30 p.m. each day in the foyer.
• I SPY Harry Potter … and build your own I Spy Board, 12-8 p.m. at the Stellarton Library.
• Gone to the Birds session runs 1-2 p.m. at the Pictou Library.
• Story Forts, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Stellarton Library. Build your own fort IN THE LIBRARY, read some books by flashlight, and eat some yummy ‘walking s’mores!’ All you need is to bring your own flashlight, or two. Registration is required as space is limited; contact the Stellarton Library, (902) 755-1638.
• Westville Library: LEGO all day
• Pictou Youth Centre: women’s self-defence program from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. March 19 and 20.
• Pictou Fisheries Pool: family swim 6 to 7 p.m., adult lane swims March 18 to 22 from noon to 1 p.m., adult lane swim 7 to 8 p.m.
• The Newfoundland Insectarium will return to The Highland Square Mall til 9 p.m. The mall will also host a Turtle Race by Foxy Entertainment, 9:30 a.m.-9 p.m.
• The Town of New Glasgow will host a free skate at the Pictou County Wellness Centre, 2 to 3 p.m.
• The New Glasgow walking group is welcoming all ages for a walk beginning at the Goodman Rotary park at 10 a.m.
• The Pictou County Womens’s Resource and Sexual Assault Centre will be hosting a free girls day camp March 19-22 for girls 9 to 12 taking place 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. each day including movies, yoga, bowling, science experiments, cooking and more. Contact Allison to register at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 902-755-4647.
• LEGOland Fun 10 a.m.-5 p.m. at the Stellarton Library.
• Attend Spy School, 10:30-11:30 a.m. at the Pictou Library.
• Wii U & Roblox tournament runs 2-4 p.m. at the Stellarton Library.
• Westville Library: Super NOVA Workshop at 10:30 a.m. (please register)
• Hector Arena in Pictou: free skate from 2 to 4 p.m.
• The Newfoundland Insectarium will return to The Highland Square Mall 9:30 a.m.-9 p.m. and Zumba for Kids will run from 12 to 1 p.m.
• Dream Candy in Stellarton will be hosting a sleepover for girls ages 8 to 13. Drop off is 7 p.m. with a 9 a.m. pick up the next morning. Suggested donation of $20 for the event. There is limited space so registration by contacting the organization via Facebook is suggested.
• Rock Painting session runs 12-8 p.m. at the Stellarton Library.
• Wii U & Roblox tournament runs 2-4 p.m. at the Trenton Library.
• Puppet Show, 2-3 p.m. at the Pictou Library: The Leprechaun’s Gold and The Smartie Garden.
• Wii U & Roblox tournament runs 6-8 p.m. at the River John Library.
• Pyjama Party, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Pictou Library. The party will include tumble books and Pigeon poop.
• Westville Library: classic games all day
• Pictou Fisheries Pool: Open swims March 21 and 22 from 7:30 to 9 p.m.
• The Highland Square Mall will host 3D printing demo, engineering straw tower challenge and library card sign up in the centre court.
• All ages Pickle ball will take place at New Glasgow Academy at 7 p.m.
• BuildIT! — a LEGO & Blocks building challenge, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Stellarton Library.
• Wii U & Roblox tournament runs 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m. at the Pictou Library, 2:30-4 p.m. at the Westville Library.
• Westville Library: X Box gamers all day
• Hector Arena in Pictou: free skate from 3 to 5 p.m.
• The Highland Square Mall will host community safety awareness with the New Glasgow Regional Police in the centre court.
• Science Experiments run 10:30-11:30 a.m. at the Pictou Library. Come prepared to get messy.
• Imagination Saturday — the March Break edition, runs 11 a.m.-4 p.m. at the Stellarton Library.
• Westville Library: Imagination Saturday.
• EB Games will be hosting a Super Smash Bros gaming tournament at the Highland Square Mall in the centre court from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Pre registration for the event is required. To sign up, call 902-752-3317.
• From 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. Foxy Entertainment will be hosting Speed Quiz in the centre court of the Highland Square Mall
• The Town of New Glasgow will host a free swim at the YMCA of Pictou County from 3 to 4 p.m.
• Music workshop with Ben Coleman at the Youth Centre.
• Fisheries Pool: family swims 2 to 3:30 p.m. and 6 to 7 p.m.
Andrew Phillips tosses a ball at one of the games set up in the Samson Room at the the Museum of Industry in Stellarton. This is just one of the many places to go to keep active and have fun during March Break.