Trading in careers

STELLARTON — Pictou County is full of inspirational women to look to, come International Women’s Day and month. And at the Pictou Campus Nova Scotia Community College, some women are smashing stereotypes and stigmas and taking on jobs that may be seen as more traditionally male-dominated jobs. Women who enrol in trades may be few […]

Continue Reading

To block a clearcut

Clearcutting, in my mind, represents everything that’s wrong with forestry past and present. Yes, there are nuances to this industry I will never fully grasp and the economic drivers involved are powerful, but through the lens of sustainability, clearcutting is absurd. I’ve had the privilege, and the misfortune, of walking through forests before and after […]

Continue Reading

Priming the pumps

Insulin pump funding scale needs adjusting   The story of a student at A.G Baillie school who, with her family, was hosting a penny parade to fund the girl’s new insulin pump has stuck with Tammy MacLaren. The New Glasgow resident was shocked when she heard that there was no funding for insulin pumps and […]

Continue Reading

Reasons to smile

This year marks the ninth year for the annual Ed Bowden Community Wellness Award as part of the annual Community Health Board grants. The grants go out to programs in the community that are helping to promote community health and wellness through many different means. The Ed Bowden Award is named after a strong and […]

Continue Reading