community news

Fire destroys mobile home

NEW GLASGOW – Three people displaced over the Victoria Day long weekend by a fire that destroyed a mobile home are getting some emergency help from the Canadian Red Cross.  The blaze Sunday evening forced out a man and two young children who were assisted today by Red Cross volunteers with emergency lodging, food and […]

Continue Reading

Cape Tormentine …

I’m going back in time to approximately 50-plus years ago. Lobsters were being fished in abundance and lobster factories along our shores were booming. My existence was perhaps just being considered about that time. I, however, have been talking to some highly respected people who remember those years as if they were only yesterday. There […]

Continue Reading

School bus incident

Stellarton Police are on the scene of an incident involving a school bus and another vehicle that took place on South Foord Street earlier this afternoon. There appeared to be no children on the bus which was travelling south towards Riverton. The incident happened near the railroad tracks. (Photo courtesy of Mike MacKean)

Continue Reading

Quilted creations

It was her own journey as an immigrant that motivated Gerrie Akkerman to work on creating a Canada 150 quilt, currently on display at the Museum of Industry. Akkerman came to Canada from Holland in 1954 and jokes, “I’m a new Canadian.” Born and raised in Holland, she and her husband came to Toronto first, […]

Continue Reading