community news

Fire destroys mini home in Hopewell

NEW GLASGOW – A Pictou County man was displaced by a fire early today that destroyed his mini-home in Hopewella.  He’s staying with a relative for now and has been helped by Canadian Red Cross volunteers with emergency purchases like clothing, food, some other basics and transportation assistance.  He was not injured from the fire,...

A subscription is required to access this section of the website

To become a print subscriber, phone our office at 902-485-8014

To subscribe to the web version click here

Thank you for supporting democracy, journalism and jobs in our community

Log In Register

Continue Reading
community news

Fire destroys mobile home

NEW GLASGOW – Three people displaced over the Victoria Day long weekend by a fire that destroyed a mobile home are getting some emergency help from the Canadian Red Cross.  The blaze Sunday evening forced out a man and two young children who were assisted today by Red Cross volunteers with emergency lodging, food and...

A subscription is required to access this section of the website

To become a print subscriber, phone our office at 902-485-8014

To subscribe to the web version click here

Thank you for supporting democracy, journalism and jobs in our community

Log In Register

Continue Reading

Kitchen fire damages house in Westville

WESTVILLE – A local man and his teenaged son escaped unhurt when a kitchen fire on Friday damaged a two-storey house in Westville.  Both were assisted Saturday with emergency lodging, food and other basics by Canadian Red Cross volunteers. The fire on South Main Street was reported shortly after 2 a.m. Friday. ...

A subscription is required to access this section of the website

To become a print subscriber, phone our office at 902-485-8014

To subscribe to the web version click here

Thank you for supporting democracy, journalism and jobs in our community

Log In Register

Continue Reading

Family displaced from home following fire

TRENTON  – A family of three has been displaced by a fire that damaged their two-storey house in Trenton. The couple and their infant daughter will be staying with nearby relatives for now, and have been helped by disaster volunteers from the Canadian Red Cross with emergency purchases of winter clothing while they await additional...

A subscription is required to access this section of the website

To become a print subscriber, phone our office at 902-485-8014

To subscribe to the web version click here

Thank you for supporting democracy, journalism and jobs in our community

Log In Register

Continue Reading

Fire damages Stellarton home

STELLARTON – A man and his five-year-old daughter have been displaced by a fire early Wednesday afternoon that damaged an older, two-storey house in Stellarton. They are staying with nearby relatives for now and have been helped by Canadian Red Cross volunteers with emergency purchases of clothing, some other basics, and a comfort toy for...

A subscription is required to access this section of the website

To become a print subscriber, phone our office at 902-485-8014

To subscribe to the web version click here

Thank you for supporting democracy, journalism and jobs in our community

Log In Register

Continue Reading

Fire displaces family of three

NEW GLASGOW – Three people have been displaced by a fire today  that extensively damaged an older, two-storey house in New Glasgow. Pictou County volunteers with the Canadian Red Cross have arranged emergency lodging, meals, clothing purchases and other aid for a couple and their 18-year-old son. There were no injuries from the fire, reported...

A subscription is required to access this section of the website

To become a print subscriber, phone our office at 902-485-8014

To subscribe to the web version click here

Thank you for supporting democracy, journalism and jobs in our community

Log In Register

Continue Reading

Red Cross aids family whose home was damaged by fire in Westville

WESTVILLE – A family of four has been displaced by a fire early Saturday that heavily damaged a two-storey house here. Disaster volunteers with the Canadian Red Cross are assisting the couple, their four-year-old daughter and two-year-old son with emergency lodging and food. Purchases of new clothing and other essentials were arranged through a partnership...

A subscription is required to access this section of the website

To become a print subscriber, phone our office at 902-485-8014

To subscribe to the web version click here

Thank you for supporting democracy, journalism and jobs in our community

Log In Register

Continue Reading

Members of Sobey family among those to receive 2017 Humanitarian Award

(Editor’s note: This story has been modified from the original. The press release indicated it was Rob Sobey who chaired the Dalhousie Medical Research Foundation, and in fact that was Frank Sobey.) HALIFAX – The Canadian Red Cross has announced that business leaders Paul, Frank and Rob Sobey will be co-recipients of its 2017 Humanitarian...

A subscription is required to access this section of the website

To become a print subscriber, phone our office at 902-485-8014

To subscribe to the web version click here

Thank you for supporting democracy, journalism and jobs in our community

Log In Register

Continue Reading