It can be easy for healthy eating to get off track in the summer. Here are some tips for staying healthy while still having fun in the sun!
1. Eat small frequent meals
· Eat a healthy breakfast. This will help increase your energy and prevent overeating later in the day.
· Eat every 3-5 hours. This will help keep energy levels consistent.
2. Plan ahead
· Pack healthy foods for day trips to the beach or picnics in the park.
· Eat a healthy snack before a party or barbeque. Arriving on an empty stomach can cause you to overeat and make less healthy food choices.
3. Watch portion sizes
· Choose smaller portions of high-fat creamy pasta salads and coleslaws. Reduce calories by making your own using a low fat dressing or a plain yogurt.
· Keep treat portions small, such as ice cream or strawberry shortcake.
4. Be sensible with alcohol
· It is best to limit alcohol consumption as it is high in calories. One drink is considered 1 bottle of beer (355 ml), 5 oz of wine or 1½ oz hard liquor.
· Try a light beer or wine spritzer (wine mixed with soda water).
5. Drink plenty of fluids
· You need extra fluid when the weather his hot. Water is the best choice since it hydrates without adding calories.
· Choose no-sugar added beverages. Use fresh fruit and herbs to add flavour yourself.
· Drink water regularly throughout the day to stay hydrated.
6. Fill up on vegetables
· Fill half your plate with leafy salads, raw vegetables or grilled veggie kabobs. This will leave less room for higher calorie foods.
· Try a cold soup, like gazpacho, for a refreshing serving of vegetables.
7. Practice mindful eating
· Pay attention to what you are eating. Savour the flavours and enjoy every bite. You will be more satisfied with a smaller portion.
· Eat when you are hungry and stop when you are satisfied, not stuffed.
8. Make over your recipes
· Cut back on the fat, sugar and salt in your recipes. Include more vegetables, fruit, whole grains and lean protein.
· For new recipe ideas, sign up for a Healthy Cooking class at Sobeys. Watch our chef prepare a healthy meal and get nutrition tips from our dietitian.
9. Stay active
· Aim for at least 150 minutes of physical activity per week. Count activities that last 10 minutes or more.
· Try going for a walk early in the morning or later in the evening to beat the heat. Or head to the beach or pool for a refreshing swim.
10. Set realistic goals
· Small lifestyle changes can help you reach your health goals.
· The best time to start making lifestyle changes is right now. Every little bit helps.
Hungry for more? Like @SobeysDietitian on Facebook and Twitter for more tasty tips & recipes or receive our schedule of events and Healthy Bits & Bites Newsletter directly to your inbox! Register at www.sobeyspharmacy.com/newsletter.
New Glasgow Nutrition Events
Sign up for Teresa’s Slimmer Summer program! Tuesdays, July 17th, 24th and 31st 10:30am-12pm Sobeys Westside and Thursdays, July 12th, 19th and 26th 5-6:30pm – Sobeys Aberdeen. Contact Teresa to register: Voicemail: 902-755-3645; E-mail: Teresa.email@example.com.
Tomato Avocado Salsa
Makes 3 cups or 750 ml
2 medium Avocadoes, ripe
½ cup 125 ml Sweet onion, chopped finely
1 cup 250 ml Orange pepper, chopped
1 cup 250 ml Plum tomatoes, diced
¼ cup 60 ml Cilantro, chopped
1 tsp 5 ml Lime zest
2 tbsp 30 ml Lime juice
2 tsp 10 ml Honey
¼ tsp 1 ml Pepper
1. Slice avocado in half and remove pit with a spoon. Peel the skin and cut avocado into chunks.
2. Combine avocado, onion, orange pepper, tomato and cilantro in a medium bowl.
3. Mix lime zest, juice, honey and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over salsa and toss gently to coat.
Nutrition Information per Serving (¼ cup or 60 ml):
Fat 5 grams
Carbohydrate 6 grams
Fibre 3 grams
Protein 1 gram
Sodium 4 milligrams
Tip: Let this salsa sit for 15 minutes for more flavour.
Source: Sobeys Dietitians