WESTVILLE ROAD – Non-profit and municipal organizations around the county are welcoming kids to summer day camp. Although summer day camp can be exciting, it can also be a little overwhelming for children and for parents.
To help here are six summer tips to prepare your child and you for a summer day camp experience. They were provided by the knowledgeable folks at the YMCA of Pictou County:
Six summer day camp tips to prepare your child for camp
1. Label your child’s belonging. For example: sweaters, water bottles and etc.
2. Leave your child’s valuables at home. For example: electronics
3. Talk to your child about their day at camp and communicate any concerns or kudos back to your child’s camp counsellor.
4. Use a frozen water bottle as an icepack to keep your child’s lunch cold and as a cold drink for later in the day.
5. Talk to your child in-advance about “how exciting camp will be” and give yourself extra time at drop-off for the first-day jitters.
6. Fill out any medical forms or paper work in advance of the first camp day.
To learn more about summer day camp programs, please reach out to your local YMCA, other local organizations or municipality.