Some eight miles east of the Town of Pictou lies the picturesque village of Scotsburn. This petite village lies in the heart of a fine farming district. A pleasing appearance of Scotsburn comes from the attractive properties with their well-kept lawns and gardens.
Over the years, thriving industries have developed within and around the village of Scotsburn. The well known Scotsburn Dairy had originated here years ago and was well-known for its many fine dairy products. Right across from the dairy was Scotsburn Pro Hardware with Canada Post and IOOF Scotsburn Lodge #140 next to it. A distinguished saw mill company called Groupe Lebel had purchased the Gammon saw mill some years ago and has established and expanded itself very well within the Scotsburn area. Donald and Sharon Gunn had established an excellent year round resort called StoneHame Chalets. This resort is situated on Fitzpatrick Mountain just on the outskirts of the village.
Scotsburn is also the home to Murray’s service station, Burnside Senior Citizens Apartments, Debs café and a fine modern elementary school with its unique playground is also situated within the village of Scotsburn. The Scotsburn playground also consists of a ball field with a tennis court. Directly behind the ball field and tennis court are beautiful hiking, biking and ski-dooing trails. Pictou County Sandstone Quarry LTD is also found within the boundaries of Scotsburn. One of Pictou County’s supreme volunteer fire departments is situated in the heart of the village. Lying next to the Scotsburn Fire Station is a splendid artificial pond that was used years ago by the youngsters for skating on during the winter and for small boat sailing in summer. The pond was created and is maintained for its added beauty to the village. The pond also serves as an emergency source of water in case of need in a fire. It is around this beautiful pond where the annual Scotsburn barbeque is held.
The first settlements in this section of Pictou County were made by John Rogers, William Matheson, Andrew McCara and James McCara. These
Pioneers spread out over the area with John Rogers settling on the hill that is still known today as Rogers’ Hill.
The settlement of the village of Scotsburn was begun with Gaelic-speaking people from Scotland in 1800 and was known as Rogers’ Hill West. A new highway was built through the village in 1855. A public meeting was held a short time later and a gentleman named Hugh Rose proposed the name of Scotsburn for the growing village. That name was then adopted. .
During this time, there was only a woods trail between the village of Scotsburn and the town of Pictou. There were only two very poorly kept roads that existed during those years. One went up over Fitzpatrick Mountain and the other over Rogers’ Hill. Those pioneer people of Scotsburn wanted and needed a better means of transportation. They notified and petitioned to their governments. The Nova Scotia Government finally laid out a new road through the Scotsburn Valley. That route became the main road from Sawmill Bridge through
Scotsburn, into West Branch and beyond.
That road was built in 1854-55 but the method of designating work on the road was unusual. The road site was divided into sections of several rods for each section. Then the bids for the construction of these lengths were sold at public auction. The man who offered to do the work for the lowest fee won the bid.
Despite the hardships of the times, it was recorded that several members of the Alexander Murray Sr. family were distinguished for their longevity. One of the pioneers of Scotsburn was John Murray who lived to be 94 years old. William and Christy Murray both lived to the age of 103 years, and Margaret Murray reached the grand old age of 106 years. It is also told that William Murray walked from his home to Pictou and back again on the same day that he turned 100. That was a distance of 18 miles.