Cheetahs win banner; Nighthawks go 1-2


WESTVILLE — The Northumberland Nighthawks were denied a chance to win the provincial boys’ high school Division I hockey championship.

The C.P. Allen Cheetahs won the championship for the third straight year on Sunday, while the Nighthawks did not advance to the playoffs, during the Nova Scotia School Athletic Federation Division 1 Hockey Championship at the Westville Miners Sports Centre.

The Cheetahs defeated the Riverview Redmen 3-2 in the final.

The Nighthawks opened the tournament on Friday with a 7-1 loss to the Auburn Eagles and were ousted from the playoffs after a 3-2 double overtime loss to Riverview Friday evening.

Northumberland recovered with a 4-2 victory over the Halifax West Warriors to go 1-2 in Poll A.

Luke Young’s second goal into an empty net iced the win for the Nighthawks after a rash of penalties to the Warriors near the end of the game.

Joseph Mason and Connor MacNeil also scored for the Nighthawks, who were outshot 44-21.

“It was certainly disappointing but the kids played well,” said head coach Chris Hatchard, who felt the Nighthawks suffered from a two-week layoff after their early ouster from the regional playoffs.

“Our volunteers did a first-rate job hosting the tournament,” he added. “The boys worked hard, and I have to thank my coaching staff as well.”

All of the games were largely attended and the crowds were treated to some high quality hockey with a number of close games, including a double-overtime win by Riverview in round-robin play, which sent them into the semifinals and eliminated the host Nighthawks.

The Cheetahs advanced to the final after shutting out Auburn 2-0, while the Redmen edged Glace Bay 3-2 in their cross-over match.

The Cheetahs defeated Horton 6-3 and the Dr. J.H. Gillis Royals of Antigonish 4-0 before bowing 2-1 to Glace Bay in their preliminary matches.

Riverview defeated the Warriors 3-1 and lost 5-0 to Auburn in their other preliminary games.

Nighthawks’ Cody MacDougall, #30, watches as Nighthawks captain Sam Hickey tries to carry the puck around the goal during their game with the Halifax West Warriors. The Nighthawks won the game 4-2. (Goodwin photo)