A fire last night that destroyed a building on the waterfront in Pictou that housed a laundromat and an Enviro-Depot recycling business also prompted evacuation of a nearby seniors apartment complex.
At least 19 adults were temporarily evacuated from the Coleraine Plaza seniors building over safety concerns including heavy smoke from the nearby blaze and because electricity in the area was shut off due to propane tanks outside the laundromat and the potential for flammable products at the recycling depot.
Canadian Red Cross volunteers from New Glasgow arranged emergency lodging for two men and one woman from the seniors’ residence. Others dispersed to relatives or friends in Pictou County. It was expected they would be allowed to return to their building this morning once the fire scene was cleared and electricity was restored.
Fire departments from Pictou, New Glasgow and several neighbouring communities responded to the blaze in the Washtub Laundromat building on Depot Street around 10 p.m. Thursday.
Photo courtesy of Brian Cameron