(Editor’s Note: This story has been altered slightly to reflect more up to date information)
Pictou County Regional Emergency Management Organization is working closely with the Nova Scotia Emergency Management Organization as the province declared state of emergency in an effort to flatten the curve of COVID-19.
Co-ordinator John Davison said, “The state of emergency provides greater authority to do what is necessary to ensure public safety and the spread of COVID-19.”
He cautioned, “Pictou County residents are required to practise safe social distancing. This is crucial. Limit contact with other people, don’t gather in groups of more than five and stay at least six feet apart.”
Under the state of emergency:
• Provincial parks, beaches and tourist attractions are closed. Social gatherings of more than five people are prohibited and social distancing guidelines must be followed.
• Police will be authorized to enforce orders under the Health Protection and Emergency Management Act. Fines of $1,000 for individuals and $7,500 for businesses can be levied.
• Grocery and gas stores, pharmacies, construction and emergency services are exempt from social gathering.
New orders in effect under the Health Protection Act:
• Business that is not deemed essential can remain open as long as a six-foot distance can be maintained. Workspaces must also be disinfected at a minimum of twice daily.
• Dentists can no longer practice dentistry in their offices unless they deem it an emergency.
Do not call 9-1-1 to report people are not self-isolating. Instead, REMO has provided the following non-emergency numbers:
New Glasgow Regional Police
24 Hours (902) 752-1941
Stellarton Detachment RCMP
24 Hours (902) 755-4141
Pictou Detachment RCMP
24 Hours (902) 485-4333
24 Hours (902) 396-2777
24 Hours (902) 752-6160
Health Information Province of Nova Scotia 8-1-1 or 1-866-770-7763
Information about services Province of Nova Scotia 2-1-1
If you have been in contact with someone who has travelled and is experiencing fever and/or a new cough complete the online questionnaire before calling 8-1-1. Can be found at: https://811.novascotia.ca/
Nova Scotians can find accurate, up-to-date information info at https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus.
List of important numbers and web sites to access for further information relating to your municipal unit:
Municipality of Pictou County
Public: 902-485- 4311 Available 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Public Works only — 902-301-1825
Town of New Glasgow
Residents are encouraged to make water and tax payments online through their financial institutions: http://www.newglasgow.ca/index.php/departments/corporate-services-finance/bill-payment. Parking tickets can be paid online through Access Nova Scotia — https://novascotia.ca/sns/access/services/fine-payments.asp.
Development and Building Inspection inquiries — 902-755-8351 or 902-755-8379.
Town of Stellarton
Public: 902-752-2114 Available 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
After hours: 902-752-6160 (24-hour monitoring)
Town of Pictou
Public: 902-485-4372 Available 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
After hours: 902-485-4372 (listen to instructions for emergencies) 4:30 p.m. – 8:30 a.m.
Town of Westville
Public: 902-396-1500 Available 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
After hours: 902-752-6160
Town of Trenton
Public Phone Number: 902-752-5311 Available 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
After hours: 902-752-1941 4:30 p.m.- 8:30 a.m.