Evolving COVID-19 restrictions have begun to affect local hockey.
The Maritime Junior Hockey League (MHL) is announcing several schedule changes as a result of the ongoing health pandemic. Prince Edward Island announced Monday, along with Newfoundland and Labrador, that it is temporarily leaving the Atlantic Bubble for at least two weeks to curb the spread of COVID-19 in the region. Health officials will re-evaluate the situation at that time.
“The main priority of the MHL and its 12 teams continues to be the safety of players, staff, volunteers and our fans,” says MHL President Steve Dykeman. “We will continue to work with provincial health authorities and other stakeholders as the situation evolves. Our teams are important to the social and economic fabric of the communities that they call home and their owners are committed to fans and sponsors as we all deal with the impacts of COVID-19 in Atlantic Canada and beyond.”
As a result of today’s announcement, the following schedule changes are being made as the Summerside Western Capitals will be unable to play this coming weekend:
- Summerside at Pictou County on November 26th, 2020 is being moved to February 7th, 2021 at 7 p.m.
- Valley at Pictou County on December 3rd, 2020 is being moved to November 26th, 2020 at 7 p.m.
- Yarmouth at Pictou County on March 16th, 2021 is being moved to December 3rd, 2020 at 7 p.m.
- Summerside at Amherst on November 28th, 2020 is being moved to February 27th, 2021 at 7 p.m.
- Yarmouth at Amherst on February 27th, 2021 is being moved to November 28th, 2020 at 7 p.m.
An announcement regarding the games in Summerside on December 3rd and 5th will be made at a later date.