Fire razes waterfront building

It was the unmistakable sound of “pop,” “pop,” “pop,” that drew a Pictou resident to her window last Thursday night. The noise broke through Paula Beer-Eligh’s reading on the otherwise calm and quiet evening just shy of 10 p.m. “I went to the window and saw a large billow of smoke heading south to north,”...

Access to Pictou Advocate will be FREE for the public. Please sign up for a FREE account to access all updates.

Want to stay informed daily? Subscribe to the Pictou Advocate Newsletter and receive (up to) one email per day with all news updates, right to your inbox!

Log In Register

Continue Reading

Fire destroys building on Pictou waterfront

A fire last night that destroyed a building on the waterfront in Pictou that housed a laundromat and an Enviro-Depot recycling business also prompted evacuation of a nearby seniors apartment complex. At least 19 adults were temporarily evacuated from the Coleraine Plaza seniors building over safety concerns including heavy smoke from the nearby blaze and...

Access to Pictou Advocate will be FREE for the public. Please sign up for a FREE account to access all updates.

Want to stay informed daily? Subscribe to the Pictou Advocate Newsletter and receive (up to) one email per day with all news updates, right to your inbox!

Log In Register

Continue Reading
community news

House fire displaces three

WEST BRANCH – Three people have been displaced by a fire that destroyed their house and belongings Friday in this rural community, about 40 kilometres west of New Glasgow. The couple and a teenaged daughter are being assisted by the Pictou County team of Canadian Red Cross volunteers with emergency lodging, food and clothing purchases...

Access to Pictou Advocate will be FREE for the public. Please sign up for a FREE account to access all updates.

Want to stay informed daily? Subscribe to the Pictou Advocate Newsletter and receive (up to) one email per day with all news updates, right to your inbox!

Log In Register

Continue Reading
community news

Fire displaces senior

RIVER JOHN – An elderly man is fortunate a nephew drove by his house late Sunday and noticed flames shooting from the roof of his house along a rural road a few kilometres northwest of River John.  He helped his uncle safely escape the burning two-storey structure. The man in his 80s is staying with...

Access to Pictou Advocate will be FREE for the public. Please sign up for a FREE account to access all updates.

Want to stay informed daily? Subscribe to the Pictou Advocate Newsletter and receive (up to) one email per day with all news updates, right to your inbox!

Log In Register

Continue Reading
community news

Fire destroys century-old house

STELLARTON – Two people were displaced by a weekend fire that destroyed a 120-year-old house in Stellarton. An elderly man  and his adult son are staying with a friend for now and have been helped by Canadian Red Cross volunteers with emergency purchases like clothing and food. Both were briefly away from the house on...

Access to Pictou Advocate will be FREE for the public. Please sign up for a FREE account to access all updates.

Want to stay informed daily? Subscribe to the Pictou Advocate Newsletter and receive (up to) one email per day with all news updates, right to your inbox!

Log In Register

Continue Reading
community news

Arson cause of Sunday fire

New Glasgow Regional Police is investigating an arson. Early morning on January 5 at approximately 7 a.m., New Glasgow Fire Department and New Glasgow Regional Police responded to a three-unit apartment building on Stewart Street.  The fire was was located in the rear of the apartment building, where only one apartment was occupied with two...

Access to Pictou Advocate will be FREE for the public. Please sign up for a FREE account to access all updates.

Want to stay informed daily? Subscribe to the Pictou Advocate Newsletter and receive (up to) one email per day with all news updates, right to your inbox!

Log In Register

Continue Reading

The day our house burned

1965 was a long cold winter with lots of heavy ice building up in the Northumberland Strait. The strait was still white with ice by the end of April. My father had hired 16 year old Dennis Slaunwhite from Pictou to fish lobsters with him that year. The Dept. of Fisheries put the word out...

Access to Pictou Advocate will be FREE for the public. Please sign up for a FREE account to access all updates.

Want to stay informed daily? Subscribe to the Pictou Advocate Newsletter and receive (up to) one email per day with all news updates, right to your inbox!

Log In Register

Continue Reading
community news

Fire destroys mini home in Hopewell

NEW GLASGOW – A Pictou County man was displaced by a fire early today that destroyed his mini-home in Hopewella.  He’s staying with a relative for now and has been helped by Canadian Red Cross volunteers with emergency purchases like clothing, food, some other basics and transportation assistance.  He was not injured from the fire,...

Access to Pictou Advocate will be FREE for the public. Please sign up for a FREE account to access all updates.

Want to stay informed daily? Subscribe to the Pictou Advocate Newsletter and receive (up to) one email per day with all news updates, right to your inbox!

Log In Register

Continue Reading
community news

Fire destroys mobile home

NEW GLASGOW – Three people displaced over the Victoria Day long weekend by a fire that destroyed a mobile home are getting some emergency help from the Canadian Red Cross.  The blaze Sunday evening forced out a man and two young children who were assisted today by Red Cross volunteers with emergency lodging, food and...

Access to Pictou Advocate will be FREE for the public. Please sign up for a FREE account to access all updates.

Want to stay informed daily? Subscribe to the Pictou Advocate Newsletter and receive (up to) one email per day with all news updates, right to your inbox!

Log In Register

Continue Reading

Kitchen fire damages house in Westville

WESTVILLE – A local man and his teenaged son escaped unhurt when a kitchen fire on Friday damaged a two-storey house in Westville.  Both were assisted Saturday with emergency lodging, food and other basics by Canadian Red Cross volunteers. The fire on South Main Street was reported shortly after 2 a.m. Friday. ...

Access to Pictou Advocate will be FREE for the public. Please sign up for a FREE account to access all updates.

Want to stay informed daily? Subscribe to the Pictou Advocate Newsletter and receive (up to) one email per day with all news updates, right to your inbox!

Log In Register

Continue Reading